Century Farms
Menu
farms

Articles Posted by

HOARE Chocolate Hills Dingo, Queensland |1916

Purchased in May 1916 for 12 pounds 12 shillings 11pence by the current owner’s father, making this a rare century station with a history of only 2 generations. Alf Hoare set about bringing his land into production,and named it Chocolate Hills. Along with establishing a camp Alf planted a fig tree, which when the family [...][...read more ]

read more

PALTRIDGE Minniecrow, Lucindale South Australia |1902

A late 19th Century presence in the SE of the state led to the purchase of land and the establishment of Minniecrow in 1902. The farm produces lamb and wool.[...read more ]

read more

REARDON Roseglen, Collector NSW | 1854

Patrick Reardon was convicted of killing Patrick Berrigan on the 12 Dec 1830 in a rock throwing incident. Sentenced to transportation, he left on the “Norfolk” in August 1831 to serve a 7 yr sentence in Australia.Tucked away in his meagre possessions was a small naive crucifix of “bog oak” believed given to him by [...][...read more ]

read more

EVANS Tambua Station Cobar NSW | 1914

Founding father George Knight acquired the property in 1914 and was at first engaged in mining in addition to producing merino wool. The original homestead and shearing shed are still in use today , and the station is run by George’s great great grandson Paul and wife Jane . They still run merino sheep, but [...][...read more ]

read more

GLASS Redlands Allens Flat, Victoria | 1856

Jesse glass the original owner of the family farm acquired his land circa 1856. He had arrived from Wiltshire UK, and initially earned a tidy living growing vegetables and producing meat for the local gold miners. Timber was also cut and sold to fuel the gold dredges on the nearby river. Today the property produces [...][...read more ]

read more

FOLEY Fairview Cullerin NSW 2581 | 1845

Founding father Patrick Foley emigrated from Ireland in January 1841. He found employment at the Sydney Gazette for 4 years before moving inland to purchase 300 acres at Cullerin near Collector in1845. Fairview is now stewarded by Patrick’s great great grandson Peter wife Rachael and family.It runs both sheep and cattle. Photos supplied by the [...][...read more ]

read more

WARWICK Holowiliena South Station, via Cradock South Australia | 1853

William Warwick emigrated from Dumfries Scottland and settled on the property in 1853. He is listed on the ship’s manifest as a blacksmith, though by all accounts his family had a long history of farming in Scotland. Today Holowiliena is run by William’s great-grandson David and wife Carol and great great granddaughter Fiona.The property in [...][...read more ]

read more

SHERIDAN Dunroamin Collector NSW   |   1862.

Original owner John Sheridan an immigrant from County Kildare, Ireland, purchased 40 acres close to the village of Collector in 1862. He paid the sum of 64 pounds 10 shillings for his new farm which became home to wife Lovey and their 11 children. The considerably extended property is now farmed by great-great granddaughter Jeanette [...][...read more ]

read more