WARD “Erin’s Home” Bromelton, QLD | 1873
Charles Corcoran of Irish farming stock left Montmellick, County Laois, Ireland on the sailing ship ‘Erin Go Bragh’ after the potato famine had ravished the country. He arrived in Moreton Bay in 1862.
Foregoing familiar farming, he went to work on the railways and by 1873 had amassed capital to purchase his own property on the Logan River at Bromelton, near Beaudesert. Living at first in a simple shingle roofed slab hut, he was later able to build his beloved homestead Erin’s Home which still stands on the property today.
Early reports suggest that he had successfully fenced the land and had 40 acres under ploughed and 280 acres in pasture.
Maze was grown on 10 acres, 3 acres given to potatoes and the rest of the land supported 45 head of dairy cattle, 6 horses and 20 pigs. In 1882 he successfully acquired the title to the property and later acquired further land nearby.
Charles married Mary Deeran the daughter of other local Irish pioneers in 1877.
Today the treasured generational property is owned by Charles and Mary’s great grandchildren. It is managed by great grandson Leo and the property runs beef Shorthorn, Droughtmaster, and Angus cross cattle. Sorghum, oats, barley, and lucerne complete the farming profile.